First, I just want to warn you that the videos below are all in Japanese. They feature the popular Japanese comedian and presenter Tamori with Guadalcanal Taka and Takeyama Takanori touring the MSDF’s destroyer Takanami in port in Yokosuka. I saw this segment on TV, and I’ve kept a mental note to try and find it – my only regret is that I don’t have the time to subtitle it for you, but instead I’ve tried to highlight some key parts with time-codes. The whole segment is based around exploring the top 20 things about the ship, so I have focused on these points.
- 02:20 – Their guide is the Takanami‘s Executive Officer Lt. Cmdr. Takahiro Ukawa
- 03:40 – #20: Otobreda 127mm/54 Compact Gun
- 06:18 - #19: Phalanx 20mm Close-In Weapon System
- 08:00 – #18: Radar systems (OPS-24, OPS-28D, OPS-20)
- 08:45 - #17: Mk 41 Vertical Launching System
- 09:55 – #16: The ship’s bridge
- 10:40 - #15: Bugle
- 12:10 – #14: The ship’s captain’s room
- 14:05 – #13 Helicopter hangar
Sadly, there is a gap between the start of #13 and the start of #7 where we catch them talking to enlisted personnel , which is where we pick up below:
- 02:25 – #6: Officers bathroom
- 02:40 – #5: Officers mess
- 05:00 – #4: Control room
- 06:40 – #3: Engine room
- 08:05 - #2: Takanami special curry
- 10:30 - #1: The Command Information Center (CIC)
A former contributor to World Intelligence (Japan Military Review), James Simpson joined Japan Security Watch in 2011, migrating with his blog Defending Japan. He has a Masters in Security Studies from Aberystwyth University and is currently living in Kawasaki, Japan.
His primary interests include the so-called 'normalization' of Japanese security (i.e. militarization), and the political impact of the abduction issue with North Korea.
James Simpson has 254 post(s) on Japan Security Watch